Is medical attention needed for elevated BP after taking Metoprolol?

Hi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here... my blood pressure earlier today was 158/113 I took 100 milagram of metropolol that was around 3 pm I just took my B.P again and it’s now 165/114. Not sure if I should seek medical attention
Mon, 11 Jun 2018
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I would like to tell you that your blood pressure is on higher side which need to be managed to avoid further high blood pressure complications.

Metoprolol 100 mg won't help much in lowering your pressure but heart rate. For high blood pressure you need to start with different group of anti-hypertensive drugs.

It's recommended for you to start with Telmisartan or personally consult with a physician for written prescription.

Hope to have been helpful.