Is light spotting one or two days before the expected period a normal thing?

Fri, 22 Apr 2011
Medical Topics ,  
Thanks for your query. Sometimes this spotting 1-2 days before periods is harmless, but sometimes it’s an alarming sign of serious problem. This depends on the cause of spotting. It may be due to old, dry blood that came from cervix most probably due to sexual intercourse and irritation of the cervix causing a little tear. It can also be an indication of implantation bleeding which occurs if you had any unprotected intercourse close to your fertile days ( 14th day of your menstrual cycle). Implantation bleeding is a type of spotting which occurs when the fertilized ovum implants in the lining of the uterus and this may occur after 10 days of your ovulation days. The more the spotting occurs close to the date of periods, the less the chances of it being implantation bleeding.

In absence of pregnancy, this spotting can be due to birth control pills, infection in an area of the body related to menstruation (including the vagina, the cervix and the uterus), polycystic ovarian syndrome, diseases of pituitary gland, hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid and cervical dysplasia or sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea and Chlamydia .You should wait for your periods and if you miss them then you should consult a gynecologist who will physically examine the local area and may consider tests like serum test for pregnancy, pap smear, ultrasound uterus and hormonal assay.

Hope this information helps you. If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations, you should not hesitate to contact Doctor at HealthcareMagic, who is in contact with me. Wishing you good health.

neyuq's  Response
we did have protected sex (with condoms) and i think it was on the 23rd and 26th day of my cycle. so what are the chances now? thanks a lot for your answer doc, it s really useful and detailed :))