Is it safe to use Femite lotion to remove finger sucking habit in children?

My daughter who is 1 years old has a habit of sucking her thumb during the day and night .... I have heard about a lotion Femite which is bitter in taste to use for getting rid of such habit.... want to know how safe is it to use on kids... any side effects ?
Mon, 9 Jul 2018
Welcome to ' Ask a doctor ' service .
I have reviewed your query and here is my answer .
As a matter of fact , your child will not swallow even a little amount as it is very pungent thing .
But yes , it has side effects as gastric upset , nausea , vomitting and loose stools .
But as i have said above , no child will suck his finger if femite is put there .
He will spit out .
I hope I have solved your query .
Let me know if I can assist you further in this query .
With regards dr varinder joshi .