Is it safe to to have Phacoemulsification for cataract?

CK from Bangalore, Karnataka, India

My queries are regarding Cataract and its surgery:

Q1). The doctor told me that the procedure for Cataract surgery called "Phacoemulsification" is to remove the cataract afffected natural lens of the eye and replace it with an artificial lens called Intra Ocular Lens (IOL) which is generally permanent. Someone also told me that in a cataract surgery, the cataract afffected layer in the natural lens of the eye is cleaned and the natural lens as such is not removed. Is this true?

Q2). For a cataract surgery in Bangalore with the following measures what is the cost involved for one eye?

- Small incision less than 2mm

- Good quality IOL (Imported)

- Surgery and hospital charges (3-4 hrs)

- Excludes medicine charges (about Rs 2,000)

Thanks in advance.
Sat, 21 Jun 2014