Is it safe to take grillinctus after having a brain stroke due to cardiac block?

My father is 70 yrs old, just come out of a brain stroke caused by a cardiac block. A few weeks later (May-11) he had to be hospitalised again because of bradycardia, which ended with a pacemaker. He is on Angispan TR2.5, Ceruvin 75, Orofer XT, Prolomet XL25, Pantocid and Atorva 20mg. He has been doing alright, except for a low Hg level. Now he has developed a dry cough because he ate cold fruit. Is it safe for him to take Grilinctus BM?
Wed, 7 Jul 2021

Grillinctus BM syrup contains, chlorphenermine, ammonium chloride, Guaifenesin and Dextromethorpan. Guaifenesin and ammonium chloride are expectorant which make the mucus thin and help in easy expectorating the mucus. Chlorpheneramine is an antihistamine drug, though mostly safe for heart patients.but can increase BP and heart rate in a few patients.

In dry cough the purpose of treatment is to stop the episodes of cough. Dextromthorpan stops the signals from the cough center of brain to the muscles producing the cough and hence effective for control of dry cough. Hence in my opinion, you are advised to give your father a cough suppressant instead of expectorant. Any syrup or tablet of Dextromthorpan should serve the purpose. Also, Dextromethorpan is safe in heart patients and has no known interaction with any of the drug he is taking.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician

Recent questions on Cardiac arrhythmia

Hi, Grillinctus BM syrup contains, chlorphenermine, ammonium chloride, Guaifenesin and Dextromethorpan. Guaifenesin and ammonium chloride are expectorant which make the mucus thin and help in easy expectorating the mucus. Chlorpheneramine is an antihistamine drug, though mostly safe for heart patients.but can increase BP and heart rate in a few patients. In dry cough the purpose of treatment is to stop the episodes of cough. Dextromthorpan stops the signals from the cough center of brain to the muscles producing the cough and hence effective for control of dry cough. Hence in my opinion, you are advised to give your father a cough suppressant instead of expectorant. Any syrup or tablet of Dextromthorpan should serve the purpose. Also, Dextromethorpan is safe in heart patients and has no known interaction with any of the drug he is taking. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician