Is it safe to take amikacin for a 5 month old suffering from inflammation ?

Hello, Our peadiatric surgeon has suggest my 5 month old baby boy to have injectable antibiotics of Advent 150Mg and Amikacin 100 mg thru IV. My baby was diagonised with inflammatory pathology on his left, which shows that there is a minimal peritesticular fluid. Is it safe to give Amikacin ? As i hear that this would lead to hearing loss and kindney problems. Such kind of messages do scare us? We are desperate to have our baby normal. Is there any chance of such side effects arising at a later stage of his age ?
Thu, 29 Dec 2011