Is it safe to take Calcium Citrate for osteopenia?

I need to increase my calcium intake as I have osteopenia. I have been taking calcium with magnesium and zinc for a long time, but I have read that calcium citrate is better to take, so I bought a bottle today and started taking it to help with my bones. 500 mg. two tablets per day. My question is: is it safe to take calcium citrate and will it help strengthening my bones?
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Calcium citrate is one of the calcium supplements used to to prevent or reverse osteopenia. Yes, it is safe to take this supplement, it is absorbed easily and can be taken with or without food. You can continue taking one tablet daily and also eat foods that contain calcium (milk, cheese, yogurt, salmon or sardines, spinach, beans and lentils, etc ). You can try to prevent from taking in more calcium than you need because it may cause problems (constipation, hypercalcemia ,calcium buildup in soft tissues).

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.