Is it safe to take Betnesol during pregnancy?

Respected Doctor, My wife is 36 year old, primipara and is obase. She got hypertension in pregnancy,it remains 140/100 +-5, she has 34 week pregnancy now. Doctor has advised Betnesol 12mg for two days. Is it safe for her? will it not increase her BP?
Fri, 1 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Administration of corticosteroids in pregnancy can help in lung maturity of the fetus. This is especially helpful when premature induction of labor is indicated. And sometimes administration of corticosteroids can lead to rise in blood pressure to some extent but if the patient is carefully selected for corticosteroid administration and closely monitored the risk can be avoided. Corticosteroids induced hypertension can be dealt with regular antihypertensive drugs and also with diuretics. So, as your gynecologist is well-known of your wife's condition better to follow her advice but careful monitoring is necessary.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.