Is it safe to take Antivert daily?

Is it contraindicated to take antivert on a daily basis, my father in law does because he has Menieres disease. He is afraid if he doesn t take it he will have an episode. The nurses in the assisted living nursing home told him that it weakens his legs as he has had trouble with one knee giving out ever since back surgery. He falls every now and then. He is 95 years old.
Wed, 27 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Antivert (meclizine) is an antiemetic medicine. It is used to treat dizziness, nausea and loss of balance caused by inner ear problems or motion sickness. Antivert has side effects such as headache; feeling tired, dry mouth or drowsiness. In his case the benefit of the treatment with Antivert overweight its risks (as falling in his age may cause serious injury such as broken bone or head injury). He can take Antivert daily. It should be taken cautiously in the following conditions: liver/kidney diseases, urination problem because of prostate pathology or in glaucoma patients.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you,
Malik Amonov MD