Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
179 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is it safe to switch from Tribenzor to Irbesartan and Amlodipine?

My dr. recently switched me from Tribenzor because my insurance, for some reason, wouldn t cover that med. He replaced the one pill (tribenzor) with separate pills of Irbesartin, amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide. However, my bp has not been as effectively controlled on this combo. It was fine on the Tribenzor. Is there a big difference in the meds?
Mon, 15 Jun 2015
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the efficacy of new combo of medications prescribed.

Yes, it is quite safe to switch over, because Tribenzor (Olmesartan) and Irbesartan belong to the same group of drugs used to lower high BP.

There is not much difference between the two medications.

Amlodipine ( a calcium channel blocker) and Hydrochlorthiazide (water pill) are added to enhance the efficacy of Irbesartan in lowering the high BP.

If your BP is not controlled with this combo medication, consult your doctor for use of alternate medications like beta blockers.

Hope this answers your query.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been taking tribenzor 40/5/12.5MG for several years. My prescription drug company will no longer pay on this medicine. They recommended...