Is it safe to switch from Tribenzor to Irbesartan and Amlodipine?

My dr. recently switched me from Tribenzor because my insurance, for some reason, wouldn t cover that med. He replaced the one pill (tribenzor) with separate pills of Irbesartin, amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide. However, my bp has not been as effectively controlled on this combo. It was fine on the Tribenzor. Is there a big difference in the meds?
Mon, 15 Jun 2015
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the efficacy of new combo of medications prescribed.

Yes, it is quite safe to switch over, because Tribenzor (Olmesartan) and Irbesartan belong to the same group of drugs used to lower high BP.

There is not much difference between the two medications.

Amlodipine ( a calcium channel blocker) and Hydrochlorthiazide (water pill) are added to enhance the efficacy of Irbesartan in lowering the high BP.

If your BP is not controlled with this combo medication, consult your doctor for use of alternate medications like beta blockers.

Hope this answers your query.