Is it safe to remove ear wax with local anesthesia?

Hi Doctor, I have been suffering from severe Ear pain due to Ear infection since 2/3 weeks. I used Ear drops like Soliwax, Candid drops, Ciplox as per my ENT s suggestion. But most of the ear wax is hard & not dissolving. I have been suggested to remove it while on local anesthesia, how safe it is to remove ear wax (hard like stone) with local anesthesia?
Thu, 11 Sep 2014
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice. People who are difficult to liquidify the wax, comes under the group of keratosis obturans (hard wax). It requires local anesthesia to remove wax to prevent pain and helps in complete removal. Go ahead.

hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best. Take care.

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh