Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

133 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is it safe to not consume any kind of sugar for a long period of time ?

Is it safe to NOT consume any kind of sugar for a long period of time? Like for year? You see my father in law believes because his Dr. told him that ALL sugar is bad. So he hasn t consumed sugar in months. Not even a grapfruit he thinks is ok sugar to consume. He thinks now that they are all unhealthy. My sister gave me an explanation opposing the Dr. views on no sugar consumption. And she also told me how sailors use to get sick when they would go on their long expeditions if their fruit and veggies rotted because it brought forth a desease to not have sugars or soemthing like that. So anyone who can be insightful by answering my question please do so. I ll appreciate it. I mean he is one strict dieter. and oldschool so if he thinks dr. know absalutley everything and can never and have never been wrong. I mean he doesnt it food to eat he ll eat just to survive which is good. no salts as much as possible and only water i think just chicken and low sugar veggies he eats. Water/chiecken/low sugar veggies. insert sarcasam now... he reminds me of someone who can become anorexic. That srict! Hope that helps you understant what im talking about and hwy i am asking this question. Thank you all!! This im adding is in regard to the know it all Debbie who seems to have a problem understanding my simpl question. You see Debbie you are wrong in assuming i have judged my father in law missy. lol I appreciate your answer in only a slight way because i feel more like you were coming after me for thinking i have judged my father in law rather than just being insightful. Sorry you took it personally. Wtch on here debbie you might not be able to handle other peoples questions and attitudes. And also i dont know why it went into this daibetes category. i did not choose it. He wasnt even borderline diabetic.
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response

More than that i guess you should take him back to his doctor and explain his behaviour. He needs a proper balanced diet and care. The doctor will prescribe dietician advise, let him go for that and he wil be fine. As long as he gets his daily intake of calories, protiens and fat in a balanced way, he should be fine i think.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have RA am 54 and have taken Artridol that I bought in Mexico. I took 2 for a week then 1 for a week then 1 every other day for a week. It really helped. After a few months all the benefits were gone. I recently started a new round, is it safe to take continue one every other day for a long period of time? Janet

doctor1 MD

i am taking lithosun sr 400 daily twice. my problem is depression. every time low level. only one time it gone up. doctor told that it is bipolar disorder. in addition to lithosun doctor advised to take quitipin 50 at night. after one year I stopped lithosun sr 400 gradually. inform me whether to continue lithosun for long time. any side effects after using the medicines for a long period.

doctor1 MD

i am 22 and i weighed 96kgs , height 5 5.. well after my friend asked me to try herbalife i lost 5 kgs in 30 days . THus bringing my weight down to 91kgs.. does this really work ?? or is it because i have shake in the morning and in the night and in noon i have a decent lunch ? willl this affect me in the long run ?? he gave me an assurance that this is a life saver and cures all bad toxics in the body ! and also keepps body healthy!please do reply ASAP