Is it safe to continue taking a medication beyond the prescribed dosage?

I have had terrible hay fever/ allergies for going on six weeks. I have been taking sudafed and Claritin for the last two weeks. Today is the best day I have had and it finally feels like I m getting better, though I still don t feel totally normal. Is there any risk in continuing the sudafed and/or Claritin until I feel 100%? I have had no side effects. Thanks, Matt C
Fri, 6 Sep 2019

I would recommend you to take Claritin for as long as you need it (till you feel better for a while), you just need to be watchful of potential drowsiness.
As for Sudafed, it is not generally recommended to be taken for long periods of time.

I hope this answers your query.
I remain at your disposal in case further medical assistance is needed.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
General and Family Physician