Is it possible that a heart murmer could be causing me to become out of breath quickly?

Heart murmer causing causing me to become out of breath quickly? I always get out of breath quickly when running or playing sports and my doctor said that I might have a hear murmer but I haven t gotten it check out yet. Is it possible that a heart murmer could be causing me to become out of breath quickly? I am a little overweight , by 7-15 pounds, could that be the problem? I don t think it would but I could be wrong, I guess. Also, if a heart murmer was causing me to become out of breath would it require surgery? Thanks
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
's  Response
No, a heart murmur is only a noise that your heart makes when blood flow is turbulent or uneven. What is causing that sound is the problem, ie. the poor or turbulent flow. Heart murmurs, like fevers, are simply indicators that there MAY be disease present. In and of themselves, how loud they are, what part of the cardiac cycle they occur, etc; is absolutely meaningless. And if someone comes up to you and tells you that they "...have a heart murmur too and this is what you should do..." you should automatically tune them out. It would be like comparing fevers; that is, an exercise in ridiculousness as they can all have different causes. In essense, treat the cause, not the symptom. Tell your doctor to do an echocardiogram to see if there are any valvular, structural, or flow abnormalities that is causing you to become winded with exertion. And no, 7-15 pounds overweight, though not nice, is not the problem. Whether you need surgical correction for whatever is causing the murmur is too early a question to ask. Let your doctor do the echo first to see if there are any significant problems with your heart. You could have another problem (like anemia) that is totally non-cardiac related. Ralph