Is it normal to experience pain after a colonoscopy?

Had colonoscopy wed/ 1 week ago, incredible pain I rolled from left to right during procedure in pain. Had a stretching pushing feeling since then 2 days ago I started with sciatica from right but cheek down to foot bad in right leg. It’s present on and off and wind seems to be a trigger I had a tattoo on my right calf on the Friday also and I get pressure and my left pelvis area feels like it’s being scraped when I need to poo? They did not get far into the procedure but say they found nothing
Thu, 27 Jun 2019

Colonoscopy can be painful. You should have been given sedation. Patients recover in 24 hours but they are recommended to be at rest for 48 hours.

Presently you have discomfort due to Acid Reflux, take antacids & PPI's (Pantoprazole-40) for relief.

For abdominal pain, you can take Spasmol (spasmoproxyvon, one sos when needed). If you do not get any relief you should visit ER & get physically examined & treated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Nupur K, General & Family Physician
General Surgeon Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel's  Response

Usually, colonoscopy is a day care procedure and the pain should not last beyond 24 hours of the procedure.

As per my clinical experience, the underlying issue of intestine pathology and added constipation with a need to poo and straining is responsible for the current issue of pain rather than the procedure itself.

Get a prescription of antispasmodic medications and stool softener from your GP for earliest recovery.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon