Is it normal of getting black spots due to borderline diabetes?

My husband has diabetes but only takes a pill twice a day, and the doctor does not have him check his blood sugar. Only when he goes to the doctor every 3 months. But yet from his knee down to his toes they are almost completely covered with dark purple almost black spots. Doctor says this is normal for diabetes, but is it normal for one that has borderline diabetes? He is also getting them on the upper inside of his leg towards his groin.

Mon, 11 Aug 2014