Is it necessary to have Morphine drug for pain management in case of a cancer patient?

My mother is presently in hospice at home for cancer. She is not in pain but has shortness of breath when she sits or stands. She is on oxygen as well. She has been prescribed morphine pills which causes her to be completely knocked out sleep all day and we are concerned because she s not awoke for meals. Is the morphine necessary? She functioned better before taking it. She has only been on it for a week, she s 88 years old.
Fri, 9 Nov 2018

Morphine is for pain relief. Cancer pain does not respond well to usual analgesics. If she is not in pain, you can withhold the morphine.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician