Is it fine to have salty food once in two weeks in case of hypertension?

Hi, can I answer your health question? Please type your question here...I have normal blood pressure of 120/80 but it only rises about 5-10 mmhg after consuming salty food or when i am under stress. I am a 29 year married woman. My blood pressure reached 140/90 in the last few days before i gave birth to my daughter but then it went back to normal after delivery . It now only rises like i said after consuming food rich in sodium.I do cardio twice per week.Is it safe if i consume fast food every 2 weeks like have a slice of pizza or a MacDonald s sandwich every now and then? I eat healthy the rest of the days.
Mon, 25 Jun 2018
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I would like to tell you that you can take salt in your diet but in limit which will help you in managing your normal blood pressure in long run of life. Rise in blood pressure while in stress or during physical exertion is normal which do not require any treatment.

It's recommended for you to avoid fried food and continue with your cardio exercise for 40 min 5 days a week.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr. Bhanu Partap