Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Is it common to have heavy bleeding at the age of 48 ?

I am almost 48 years of age and am experiencing a very heavy period for a week and a half. I have no pain, cramping, headaches, etc. Is this a sign of my age?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  132
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
This is a menopausal symptom.
You can start hormonal therapy under guidance of gynecologist.
Be careful for development of osteoarthritis.Start calcium and routine exercise to prevent it.Go for routine body profile investigations at 6 to 8 month interval.
Answered: Wed, 13 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic

Have you attained menopause. This could be the menstrual disturbance which can occur in a pre-menopausal woman. It would be wise to consult a Gynaecologist to look for any endometrial problems, cervical problems which can cause similar picture. Also get your haemoglobin and blood counts done to look for anaemia and get treated as well. You can take medicines to stop the heavy period like those containing Tranexemic acid under medical supervision for stopping the bleeding.
Answered: Wed, 13 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor