Is it advisable to take Ambien with less than seven hours of sleep?

My mother-in-law s nursing director in her assisted living residence is seeking a doctors order to use 5 mg of Ambien as a sleep aid, however, the guidelines I just read say that you shouldn t take it until you have had at least 7-8 hours of sleep. My mother-in-law isn t sleeping at night per their report. Is ambien use advisable. They are talking to her new doctor, who met her at her new residence last Monday.
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Ambein are newer sleep inducing drugs, the good point of this drug is that I very rarely cause addiction or withdrawal symptoms. These drugs should always be prescribed by specialist doc and should only be used for sleep if all other measures fail like if sleep and hygiene do not work for some one. If it is used properly , there is no such restriction like one should not use it until have had a sleep of 7 to 8 hours, as these are used for sleep. Maybe you have read it or interpreted it wrong.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.