Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Is it advisable to give ofloxacin to children below 10 years of age ?

gud sisters daughter was suffering from diarrhea and has advised of givivg ofloxacin oral solution and emeset syrup .can we give ofloxacin fo chidren below 10years.
Asked On : Thu, 15 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  595
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic
Ofloxacin is a antibiotic belonging to fluoroquinolone group.
Normally this group is commonly used in cases of gastro intestinal,urinary and chest infection.
Initially it was advised not to be used in children for the reason that it caused problems in musculoskeletal system in children resulting in swelling of joints.
But now a days it is more frequently used in India and has shown good results in cases of diarrhoea especially it is marketed in combination with metronidazole/ornidazole etc.
Since it is used for short duration of 3-5 days so you can give it.
Answered: Fri, 16 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor