Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Is it advisable for a diabetic to continue with her pregnancy ?

hello doc ,i ve just found i am 6 weeks pregnant.i am 28 yrs old and a diabetic for last 3 years.right now my glucose levels r not under control and i have been taking insulin mixtard and tab amaryl m1 twice a day and jalra m before lunch.can i continue with the pregnancy??
Asked On : Mon, 19 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response
you need to stop the amaryl M and jalra immediately- they are not to be taken during pregnancy. The best way to control glucose in pregnancy is insulin and you need to ideally take a short acting insulin with every meal and along acting insulin at bed time. The dosing of insulin is by trial and error- so your doctor will start you on a dose of insulin and adjust the insulin dose up or down based on your glucose levels. This means that you should check your glucose levels- using a glucometer- three to four times a day. it can be a little daunting initially but most women are able to manage. Please consult your endocrinologist quickly- the better the control less the chances of malformation or adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Answered: Wed, 21 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
You can continue with pregnancy. However, the risk of congenital abnormalities(birth defects) is higher in children of women who have diabetes. I would suggest that you get your diabetes under good control. Also, regular ultrasounds and tests to detect congenital abnormalities (usually done at 16-18 weeks) need to be done. I would suggest that you take tablet folvite 0.5 mg every day to reduce the risk of birth defects in your child.
Please see your gynaecologist and your physician regularly.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 20 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor