Is it a concern when low lung volumes contribute to central vascular crowding and probable bibasilar subsegmental atelectasis?

Can you tell me in laymen s terms what these results actually mean? Exam Description: RA_CHEST 2 VIEW PA LATERAL EXAM# TYPE/EXAM RESULT MIB0000 RAD/CHEST 2 VIEW PA LATERAL EXAMINATION: PA and Lateral radiographic view of the chest INDICATION: Chest pain. COMPARISON: Correlation is made with the relevant images from the MRI of the right shoulder performed at AO Fox Hospital on 4/5/2016, plain films of the bilateral shoulders on 3/9/2016, chest x-ray on 1/13/2016, MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine on 8/7/2015, MRI of the cervical spine on 7/8/2015, chest x-ray on 1/12/2015, neck CT on 7/12/2011, and CT of the abdomen on 3/22/2010. FINDINGS: Low lung volumes contribute to central vascular crowding and probable bibasilar subsegmental atelectasis. This also likely contributes to enlargement of the cardiac silhouette. There however is a possible left basilar opacity which appears more conspicuous on comparison to the prior chest x-ray examinations for which a small infiltrate is difficult to exclude. There is otherwise no definite new focal pulmonary consolidation or definite large pleural effusions. There is no definite pneumothorax. The cardiomediastinal silhouette is otherwise probably grossly stable. Minimal multilevel spinal degenerative change is again noted. Surgical clips are again noted overlying the right side of the abdomen.
Mon, 29 Jul 2019
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response

The X-ray chest shows a segment of lung shows features of atelectasis.
Atelectasis is the collapse of lung tissue.
You need to consult your pulmonologist to look for the cause of lung collapse.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shailja Puri, Pathologist and Microbiologist