• question-icon

Is gradual decrease in the platelet count a matter of concern?

my blood platelets have been dropping steadily for 5 years form 140k to now 54 k . however my monocytes have improved over the last 6 months from peaking at 104 in january to now .56 . I have an appointment in august with a hemotoligist in August . Is that to long to wait ?
Fri, 15 Jul 2016
Hello
August is too long a wait, since with a platelet count in the 50K range you are in danger of having a bleed in your brain and if I were your doctor I would give you a platelet transfusion now.

The cause can then be evaluated since it could be from your spleen, from leukemia, or a viral illness like hepatitis or HIV