Is dementia a normal part of the ageing process?

is dementia a normal part of the ageing process.?
Mon, 6 May 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Neurologist 's  Response
Normally as age advances there can be memory loss but it wont affect the activities of daily living hence it cannot be dementia.Almost 40 per cent of people over the age of 65 experience some form of memory loss. When there is no underlying medical condition causing this memory loss, it is known as "age-associated memory impairment," which is considered a part of the normal aging process.
But brain diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias are different.
Age-associated memory impairment and dementia can be told apart in a number of ways. In general, a memory problem may become a concern if it begins to affect your day-to-day living. Most older adults do not go on to develop Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia.

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Neurophysician
Hi tech city, Hyderabad

paul's  Response
That's a tricky question. Most aging experts feel that if you live long enough, you will eventually experience some dementia. So the real question should be, "Can you do anything to delay the onset and progression of dementia?" And to that question, the answer is, "yes." Things like exercise, a good diet, multivitamins and antioxidants, ongoing mental stimulation (reading, puzzles, self-improvement programs, etc.), sound management of stress, etc., have all been shown to delay dementia.