Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Is cancer the only reason for swelling on my jaw ?

I have an enlarged lump about a fingers width below my jaw on left side. I ve had it a little over a year. Iwent for ct scan pn yesterday and am a nervous wreck its cancer . What else could cause the sweelling besides cancer?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Jun 2011
Answers:  7 Views:  183
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  Anonymous's Response
i am suffering from blood cancer
Answered: Wed, 29 Jun 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Anil, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
Your History suggest it is a enlarged Lymph Node, until the Biopsy is done along with Blood Work up, Cancer cannot be confirmed but The Lymph Nodes do get enlarged in cancers. There are various other causes for it like, Infections, Immune System Disorders like Lupus or cancers like leukemias, lymphomas. Kindly get yourself examined by a Oncologist to confirm it after a thorough physical examination. Stick to your treatment plan and get adequate rest. If you have pain, apply warmth. Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and Green leafy vegetables.

Wish you Good Health, Take Care.
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi Anil,
You have not mentioned the findings on CT Scan. Other investigations (apart from routine blood tests), available are ultrasound examination of the the swelling, Fine Needle aspiration biopsy and if need be excision biopsy.
Most likely it must be an enlarged lymph node or a clump of lymph nodes matted together, which could be due to Tuberculosis.
There is no point in you fretting yourself in anxiety. Let the doctors do the necessary tests and come to a conclusion. You and me speculating about it is of no value.
Only intelligent thing that you could do is consult an ENT Surgeon. I am wondering what took you so long to consult a doctor, since you had noticed this swelling about one year ago.
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
i have also suffering from same problem doctor
Answered: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
  User's Response
blood cancer
Answered: Thu, 23 Jun 2011
  User's Response
same issue
Answered: Thu, 23 Jun 2011
  Anonymous's Response
I have the same problem
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor