1. If you want to know the prognosis of your Facial Nerve Palsy
, you have to investigate the extent of the nerve damage.
2. Between the 10th and the 14th day from the date of onset of your Facial Nerve palsy, get an EMG (ElectroMyoGraphy
) and NCS (Nerve Conduction Study
3. Some centers also have ENoG (ElectroNeuronoGraphy) which can be performed earlier.
4. Other tests include Acoustic reflex, Lacrimal tests (Schirmer's), MRI Scan with contrast, House Brackmann Grading.
5. The Electrodiagnostic tests mentioned above help to differentiate between the severity of nerve injury
, namely neuropraxia, axontomesis and neurotomesis. Neuropraxia has the best prognosis with recovery in two to eight weeks.
6. Your dose of steroid should be optimal as per your body weight and weighed against the possibility of flaring up your viral fever.
plays an important role in full recovery.