Is an upper respiratory infection contagious?

I have been diagnosed as having an upper respiratory infection and have had it for 9 days now. I went to a doctor about 3 days after I started coughing so much & suspected it might be bronchitis. She said it was a URI and prescribed a 5 day Zpak & Rx cough medicine which I didn’t fill since my insurance didn’t cover it & it was $45. However, my cough just kept getting worse so I went back to her 5 days later. She gave me a Rx for Prednisone for 5 days & told me to get the Rx cough medicine. I’ve finished the Zpak & am taking the cough medicine but still have a pretty bad cough. I know URI is contagious, but how long are you contagious to others?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Dec 2017
Hello,my name is dr.Dorina Gurabardhi.I understand your concern.
Upper respiratory infection can be due to a viral infection or a bacterial infection.You can be contagious.
Simple techniques, such as
-proper hand washing and
-covering face while coughing or sneezing, may reduce the spread of upper respiratory infections.
Hope my answer was helpful.If you have any other question Ill be glad to help.
dr.Dorina Gurabardhi