Is an X-ray effective in finding the cause of severe pain and burning sensation in the neck, shoulders and arms?

Hi. Ive been having trouble with my neck and upper back for 5 or so years now, also in my lower back. Recently I told my doctor about whats been going cause I finally have insurance. Well he xrayed both saying everything is normal. Im kinda of at a loss and it kinda makes me feel crazy. I know what Ive been threw and the trouble I have had lifting, sleeping, waking up in the mornings and how it bothers me threw the day and at the end of my days. Im used to a certain amount of pain every day and its been going on for a long while now and have long period of time in my past where Ive been miserable. My current symptoms depending on the day range from light to bad. It effects me at work the worse. In my lower back left side and outer part of my butt same side will hurt. It can range from light to something I would gimp around on here and there. When it gets bad it will bother me there and in the front of my thigh near my knee and my knee. Once in a long while ill get a shooting pain down my leg I can barely walk on. The shooting pains dont seem to last long thou and rarely happens. With my neck on the right side it can ache in the back and on the side of my neck and can have a burning sensation, the ache also runs down the top of my shoulder. It can also cause pain in my shoulder blade, down the back of my arm elbow and forarm to my to small fingers. Ive had my small fingers hurt really bad before and go completely numb. During this I can get knotted from the base on my skull to the middle of my back. This it pretty much a daily thing either one or the other or both. Usually the one that hurts worse can make me forget about the other or have days i cant seem to escape either. He has me on a muscle relaxer to sleep and a 24 hour anti inflammatory. Now my question is. Is a xray a end all be all test that can tell you nothings wrong? Cause i know whats been going on. Would a second opinion be good to get? Of so who would I see? Im at a total loss and it has me down is the reason im asking.
Thu, 23 Aug 2018

Considering your clinical history likely diagnosis is radicular pain in upper and lower limbs due to nerve root compression in cervical and lumbar spine. X-ray is usually normal as it shows only bone. For diagnosis of nerve root compression Magnetic resonance imaging is the investigation of choice. It is very sensitive and specific for diagnosis of spine pathology. Please get it done from radiology center nearby you. Meanwhile start tablet Pregalin one at bedtime. Avoid forward bending and weight lifting. You need to consult neurophysician for detailed clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Jayesh Vaza