Is advance volume loss and age related neuronal attrition is complicated for recovery?

Hi Dr. Keerthi. My husband had a traumatic head injury 20 years ago and was in a coma for 20 days. The injury left him with a limp in his walk and memory problems. Four years ago he had a stroke which complicated his recovery. He is now unable to walk and has severe aphasia. The doctors are saying he has advance volumn loss in his brain. Could it be that this advance volumn loss and age related neuronal attrition is what is complicating his recovery. Thank you for any answer you may have.
Mon, 3 Apr 2017