• question-icon

Is abrupt stopping of Atenolol advisable?

I have been told by my doctor to stop taking Atenolol, in order to see if it is necessary for me to take it (100 mg mane), as well as Ramapril 2.5 mg, to control my hypertension. Is it safe just to discontinue Atenolol, or should I cut the dose gradually?
Thu, 7 May 2015
Dear user,

I really understand your concern.

Abruptly stopping of Atenolol tablets isn't advisable, because sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat and sometimes heart attack may occur if you do that.

Follow this schedule: continue with 50 mg on the first week, then 25 mg on the second week and 12.5 mg on the third for another week and stop.

Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose!!!

If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, see your doctor right away. You may need to start taking atenolol tablets again.

All the best!

Dr. Elton Halili
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN GENERAL MEDICINE