Owl Image

Is a stroke caused by smoking ?

Is a stroke caused by smoking ?
Sat, 4 May 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

YES - no doubt...
It has direct and indirect effects
It has immediate and long term effects...
The Smoking Disease is one avoidable risk factor...

You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
You have not said who the patient is!

Psychiatric assessment and assistance will help in de-addiction.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Neurologist Dr. Sandhya Manorenj's  Response
Yes smoking increases the risk for stroke.It is one of the major risk factor for stroke

Smoking affects metabolism and the chemistry of blood vessels in several ways, all of which put increases risk for stroke:

The chemicals in cigarettes damage the walls of the arteries, resulting in a buildup of fatty plaque that can harden and narrow the arteries, restricting blood flow to your brain.
Smoking irritates the lungs and blood vessels, causing irritation inside the body (an inflammatory response) that increases the number of white blood cells and other predictors of increased risk for heart attack, stroke, and sudden death.
Smoking makes the blood more likely to clot. These clots can travel in your bloodstream until they finally become stuck in one of the blood vessels in your brain, cutting off blood flow and triggering a stroke.
Smokers tend to have high levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides—two types of blood fat that increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. Smoking also lowers HDL (good) cholesterol. HDL cholesterol helps remove LDL (bad) cholesterol from the artery walls
Smoking will increase the risk of stroke and other cardiovascular events, yes.