Is a pacemaker operation risky?

I am very worried about my dad, Is a pacemaker operation risky? He turned 68 years old yesterday!
Fri, 6 Sep 2013
Treatment/Therapy ,  
Medical Topics ,  
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
Insertion of a pacemaker is a safe procedure with few risks. Your father will be fully monitored throughout. It will be done under local anesthesia and sedation. The procedure will be explained to him before the start.
Dr K A Pottinger

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The procedure of implanting a pacemaker is not at all risky ...
Usually simple and short...
Avoiding it, when indicated has more risks..!
Relax / he will be well

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Rae, a pacemaker insertion is no longer considered a risky operation as it was back when they were first develpoed. He will recieve a local anaesthesia and a general muscle relxatant. He may just fall asleep during the proceedure but many do not. He will be able to go home that very day. There IS a slight risk of complications but, even if one should occur, it can and will be handled in relative ease and comfort to your dad. Raji the green Witch