Is a discharge coming from the stitches a normal factor?

I have gave birth two and a half weeks ago and had to have stitches which got infected and I was given a course of anti biotics for this. I have now finished them but I can still see some discharge from the stitches, is this normal or do I need more anti biotics?
Mon, 26 May 2014
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

No, it is not a normal thing to have discharge from the stitches even after 2 weeks of surgery. There is definitely some infection persisting at that site.

I would suggest daily cleansing of the wound site with a betadine soaked sterile gauze with subsequent application of an OTC antibacterial cream/ointment e.g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily.

The best way to approach is to start on an empirical oral antibiotic for a week OR 10 days (My choice of oral antibiotic would have been Amoxycillin 500mg in combination with clavulanic acid 125 mg, thrice daily, for a week OR Cephalexin 500ng thrice daily OR Cefadroxil 500mg twice daily, for a week). This would take care of the infection.

regards