Is Vancomycin effective in managing an infection around a JP tube?

my husband just had esophageal surgery - and now has an infection in his JP tube - he was on Keflex antibiotics for 10 days - did not work - now started Cipro for this pseudomonas infection - I know... this case has been long and drawn out - my husband has been sick for over a year, new esophagus tried last August went very badly - 40 days in the Intensive care - not good - this year - February 15th surgery re-construction surgery went better - still struggling.. but better... Just taking it one day at a time.. my one question from this.... is ... would Vancomycin be better? should he go in -- it needs to be IV ... I know
Thu, 17 May 2018
Apr 2017
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Vancomycin is a group of glycopeptide antibiotic. It is a broad spectrum molecule killing a wide range of pathogens. It's use should be kept under control of culture sensitivity report of the lab. I recommend to undertake IV antibiotics as per the clinician concern.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.