Is TB contagious?

My blood tests shows that i m affected by tb.. i have a swollen lymph node since past 6 months.. it started with a single node swelling but gradually it kept on increasing to second and third swelling of nodes near neck. Doctors suggest a biopsy. But what do you think m i suffering from this?? I have no other symptoms like fever weight loss etc except fatigue persisting all day long. My coaching asked me to come once i m cured. Is it contagious?
Tue, 28 Oct 2014
Hi ,
Thanks for Contacting Team HCM
Tuberculosis( T.B.) is divided in to Pulmonary and Extra Pulmonary.
Its bacteria Known as Mycobacterium Tuberculosis.
All Pulmonary further divides into Smear Positive and Smear Negative.
All Smear Positive means presence of tuberculosis bacteria in Sputum.
Not all Kind of tuberculosis is contagious . A study by World health organization shows a untreated sputum positive Tuberculosis infect 10 - 12 new person.but any kind of Extra pulmonary is not contagious.
As per your given history that you have swelling in neck. It may be tubercular Lymph Node and diagnosis process is FNAC ( fine needle aspiration cytology) for any external Lymph node.Your Doctor is correct to do biopsy .
If you are belongs to India, Health Department India banned a blood test name T.B.Gold .
If you will have Gland T.B. then it is non contagious.
Thanks