Is Mohs surgery the only treatment for skin cancer on the leg?

I have a diagnosis from a biopsy on a small spot on my leg as : Invasive well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, keratoacanthoma type. The lesion involve the deep margin. My dermatologist wants to do the Mohns surgery. Would this be the only treatment in that I am active during the summer and they have told me I would have to reframe from walking excessively for 2 to 6 weeks? I had a body scan in October and they did not detect it then. I picked a very small spot on my leg about three weeks ago thinking I was just a small white head, but it became slightly infected. I could not clear it up with over counter medication so I made an appointment with my doctor. Of course I was not expecting carcinoma or any other kind of cancer in that it was such a short period of time. Could I do another procedure now and have it re evaluated later? My e-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Fri, 22 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

To avoid the long-term bad sequele of of squamous cell skin cancer it is necessary to remove the involved parts. So surgery is absolutely recommended if it is confirmed on biopsy. Generally, outcome is positive, as less than 4% of Squamous cell carcinoma cases cause metastasis. However, specifically you should avoid the sun’s intense rays between 10am and 2pm, apply SPF greater than 30 every 60-80 minutes, wear a long sleeve shirt, pants and a wide brimmed hat.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.