• question-icon

Is Levetiracetam exactly the same as the brand name Keppra?

My daughter takes Levetiracetam for her seizure and she still has minor seizure every 2 weeks. It lasts only few seconds but she feels scared especially when at school. She is 17 and she takes 15mls morning and evening. Is Levetiracetam exactly the same as the brand name Keppra?
Mon, 27 Apr 2015
I have gone through your query and understand your concern, you should be worried but not too much.
Levetiracetam is an anti epileptic drug, which is available in market with different different brand names. Keppra also contains Levetiracetam.

Your daughter still having seizures inspite of being on levetiracetam then she needs one more ant epileptic drug to control the seizures. You should consult a Neurophysician near by you for your daughter's general check-up and re-evaluation for cause of seizures.

Till then i will suggest you to take care of your daughter like never leave her alone, do not take her near swimming pool, do not let her drive, tell her teachers also about her illness & what to do in emergency, do not let her lock the door's from inside when she is alone in her room.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Shiv