Is Isosorbide an effective alternative for Diovan?

my doctor prescribed isosorbide MN 30 Mg for high blood pressure 1 x daily. I have been taking Diovan which has little or no effect on my BP. Can I take Isosorbide 2 x a day instead of the Diovan as the Isosorbide works immediately to lower my BP?
Wed, 13 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I don't think that Isosorbide is an alternative for Diovan, in treating chronic high blood pressure. There are many other drugs that can low the blood pressure like Irbesartan and Hydrochlorothiazide combination, Lercanidipine, etc. Isosorbide may be used in patient taking some other medications for high blood pressure, that can cause an episode of high blood pressure despite taking other medications (only one take, not chronic), not for chronic use in treating high blood pressure.

All the best!