Is Adenoidectomy and Tonsillectomy the only cure for my 3 1/2 year old son's continous nasal congestion and running nose problem ?

Hi Dr. My son (3 1/2 year old) have continous nasal congestion and running nose. We got his CT Scan done and found out that his Adenoids are bigger. Doctor have also checked his tonsils and they said is also swollen up. They have recommended Adenoidectomy and Tonsillectomy . I was wondering if Adenoidectomy can only cure his problem ? I am not sure if if tonsils plays any vital role in his current symptoms ? I am trying to avoid Tonsillectomy if possible.
Fri, 22 Apr 2011