Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is 21 too young for breathing / heart problems?

Maybe I am a little out of shape. I went from 120 to 140 lbs within this yr and since then I get tired really fast while excersizing. My chest burns really bad and I get so out of breath . Today with my trainer I got extremely nauseated and light headed and my chest felt like it was going to pop. Could this be due to the extra weight? I have a belly that looks like it has a baby in it (no exagg). I told a doctor about it but he says I m too young to have any problems. Could this be true? I m 21 5 3 142lbs
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
  User's Response
's  Response
Do not let one doctor dismiss your concerns. Anyone at any age can have health issues. The answer that he gave you is a dismissive answer meaning that he does not believe you are ill and does not care to be bothered with your concerns. Physicians should be treated with respect. At the same time, remember that they are service providers. They work for you providing medical service and are therefore your employee. Too many doctors forget that it is our money that pays the insurance premiums, employer sponsored programs where your employer pays a percentage is considered by your employer as part of your compensation. On top of that, you have to make a co-payment at the doctor's office. Medicare and government assistance programs were paid for by your tax dollars and those of your family and friends. Bottom line is that it is just like many other people on this question have answered. See another doctor. Ask around, talk to people, try the American Heart Association or the American Lung Association. They can put you in touch with a doctor that will actually listen to your concerns. I would start with a doctor that specializes in COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) because these doctors are doctors of Internal medicine. If the problem is your heart that they cannot treat, most likely they can diagnose it and refer you to a doctor that can treat it. Good luck. I hope you do not have anything seriously wrong with you.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hello i has heart disease and gathered to much body fluid even upon taking the bumetanide 1mg tab three tablets twice a day im having trouble breathing and severe weakness and dizziness should i call 911 i has gained 21 pounds in just a short time my feets and ankles are badly swollen with fluid.......johnnie

doctor1 MD

in Michigan u get your medical marijuana card for a irregular heart beat or chronic chest pain im 21 5 11 i have a heart problem where it hurts when i breath and walk and its stabbing they say i have a irregular heart beet but don t know where the pains coming from would u have a idea its coming from the right extremity of the heart

doctor1 MD

There s something wrong with my heart and breathing.. Can anyone help me? So, my problem is, that from time to time, I suddenly feel very tired, like I ran up the stairs. This time, my pulse is exactly 85, I always measure it and get the same results. I feel like I have less air, but I m not suffocating, or anyhting, just feel like I need to breathe through my mouth to get more air. If it s night, I m trying to be in a curved position, like a baby in a mom s womb . This way I feel better. If it s daylight, I really need NOT to sit up straight, as it s worse. I also feel a pressure at my chest , as I were swimming in a lake or pool. This disease occurs around 2 times monthly, usually after I eat or if the weather will change. Only these are the facts I managed to compare it with. I m not sure why this is and what causes it, actually. Hope you will give an answer! Thanks, anyone!:) P.S.: I often have hiccups, usually after every meal or drink.. :((( Oh, and I forgot to mention, that I m 22 years old, I m 1.63-1.64 m tall and I weigh 51-53 kilos... Another important detail is, that I don t smoke and I usually eat healthy food.. Thank you for the answers, I m curious before going to the doc :) I also forgot to mention, that I was 21 days late at birth and not my head , but my butt came out 1st.. :(