Is 140/50 normal for blood pressure?

is 140/50 normal for blood pressure. have a friend, he claims that is a good blood pressure.? he said doctor wants to take him off of medicine
Sun, 20 Feb 2011
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
's  Response
mine always has a high systolic - 140-150 and the diabolic [bottom] is veryy low like 40-50 but my pulse races at 133. my chest pounds and i feel like im not getting enough air? so i cant figure out if its high or low?

what does mine mean?
christof's  Response
The blood pressure, as stated by you, is 140/50 mmHg. Therefore the pulse pressure is 140--50 = 90 mmHg. Research suggests that an elevated pulse pressure (40 mmHg) may be a strong predictor of heart problems especially for older adults. Generally a pulse pressure greater than 60 mmHg is abnormal. Isolated systolic hypertension, however, is defined as a systolic pressure that is above 140 mm Hg with a diastolic pressure that still is below 90. This disorder primarily affects older people and is characterized by an increased (wide) pulse pressure. The pulse pressure is the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures. An elevation of the systolic pressure without an elevation of the diastolic pressure, as in isolated systolic hypertension, therefore, increases the pulse pressure. Stiffening of the arteries contributes to this widening of the pulse pressure. Once considered to be harmless, a high pulse pressure is now considered an important precursor or indicator of health problems and potential end-organ damage. Isolated systolic hypertension is associated with a two to four times increased future risk of an enlarged heart, a heart attack (myocardial infarction), a stroke (brain damage), and death from heart disease or a stroke. Clinical studies in patients with isolated systolic hypertension have indicated that a reduction in systolic blood pressure by at least 20 mm to a level below 160 mm Hg reduces these increased risks. Consult a cardiologist.