Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Intolerant to loud noises, increased anxiety in areas of poor acoustics, use ear plugs to avoid irritation. How can I resist this?

I am 47, very active. I have become almost intolerant of loud restaurants, gymnasiums, and any room with poor acoustics like a large foyer that echos. I also prefer to drive with no sound, radio, etc., and I get a little anxious in areas with loud noices. I don t like this problem. I often wear ear plug to avoid this irritation. I have always loved entertaining and being with children but fear this will only increase and make me resist situations with loudness. terry
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your problem description. I suggest you not to worry too much. Such problems are common worrying about it increases the stress associated with it. You are able to tackle it successfully and that itself is motivating. Good job.

Your description underlines the fact that you are Hypersensitive to loud noise. This could be anxiety related (related to development) or a health condition named Hyperacusis.

Proper diagnosis is important. Developmental disorders can be treated with behavior therapy and desensitization therapy. Consult a physician for proper diagnosis.

Hope this clears your doubts. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.
Answered: Fri, 25 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor