Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Intolerance to water, is there any solution ?

Ever since I was a little child, for as long as I can remember, I have had trouble drinking water. Whenever I drink it, even if I suffer intense thirst from physical activity, it leaves my throat feeling parched, and I cough for a great deal afterwards. I have tried without success to sweeten the water slightly, to drink it at different temperature, slowly, or faster, but nothing works. Sweeteners make drinking it actually worse. I can drink other liquids without a problem, but with little money, I find my choice limited, and wonder if there could be a solution to my water intolerance. What is your recommendation?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  211
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  User's Response
Since you have this problem from childhood it can be due to an abnormal passage between your oesophagus(food pipe) and your trachea(wind pipe) called Oesophago-tracheal fistula.
This can be confirmed by some investigations like Barium studies, and if it confirmed it will require surgical correction.

Wish you the best.
Answered: Sun, 17 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor