Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Inside of nose was hurting with large yellow scabs, leaks clear pus. What is this ?

Hello, about a month ago I had a small cold lasting only four or so days. About a week later I noticed that the inside of my nose was hurting to the touch and these large yellow scabs I guess you would call them were forming. When when I pulled them off it would pull off a layor of skin and start leaking a clear goo (sticky odorless non mucus or puss) I would keep it dry as good as possable but it hurt to touch. I used A & D ointment on it for about three days and it went away. Now I noticed last night my nose on the outside tip is now having the same symptoms. The clear goo was dripping (naturally I though I had a runny nose) but when I went to whipe it it peeled off the first layor of skin and hurt (burning stinting). WHAT IS THIS? Thanks
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  3000
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM.
it is called folliculitis (usually a hair follicle infection) or a skin infection of the nostril.
the yellow scabs clearly indicate classical staphylococcal infection.
it may spread locally by contact contamination.
also it is commoner in diabetics etc. where immunity is down.
if you are a diabetic, take good care to prevent complications like cellulitis, or worse spread to danger area of face (as is called in medicine).
otherwise local anti-staphylococcal ointments would suffice (framycetin or acitracin etc. available locally),
if you have ill health, fever etc, you may need antibiotics capsules internally.if not clearing, recurring, pl. see your doctor and get evaluated.

take care and keep me informed on your progress.
Good luck !
Answered: Fri, 17 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor