Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Insect bites have swollen and appear to be spreading, worsened after IM antihistamine. Which specialist should be consulted?

My wife was bitten by a flying insect, possibly a mosquito; now the two bites have sweeled up and appear to be spreading along her arm . I took her to the doctor yesterday evening and was administered an IM antihistamine... but this morning it seems actually worst. She does not have fever , but the bites are hot to the touch, and have appeared to have spread. What type of doctor should we aim to visit?
Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
your wife has been stung by insect and this has resulted in inflammation and swelling is due to super added infection.
she needs a course of antibiotic and analgesic anti inflammatory drugs besides antihistiminics
you can consult dermatologist or surgeon.
Hope i answered the question.
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Ajit Singh's  Response
As you said some flying insect has bitten your wife, then it must be a case of insect bite hypersensitivity. Along with antihistaminic, steroid therapy and prophylactic antibiotic may be needed.
Do not manipulate the lesions and take quick opinion of a dermatologist.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor