Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Injury to ribcage. Pain when breathing or moving arm. Done X-ray. How to help her?

5 days ago, my grandma got elbowed in the upper left ribcage area, right under the breast by my brother, accidentally. She has been in constant pain, especially when she starts breathing or move for example, just lifting her arm . This has happened before to her right upper ribcage, she had X-ray scanning and the doctor say it would take 1 month to recover since she takes Panadol very frequently, unlike normal people who might possibly only take a few weeks. And for her, indeed it took exactly one month. Therefore, this time she insist that she does not want to consult the doctor since she will get the same result. Is there any simple ways that I can do to help her? Perhaps anything that I can apply to the area to relieve the pain. She seems to be great pain every time she move. Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Dermatologist 's  Response
Your grandmother has possibly got her ribs fractured. The treatment is conservative.
Best thing would be to consult an orthopedician and follow his instructions.
If she is not willing for that, some of the measures which may help her are:
1. Avoidance of exertion
2. shallow breathing in and out
3. Use of suitable rib belt
4. oral calcium and vit-D tablets
5. Oral analgesics.
Answered: Sun, 11 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor