Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Injury due to fall, purple bruise on right knee, swollen wrist, pain. Treatment?

I fell yesterday and landed on my right side. I have a large purplish bruise mark on my right knee , but my hand took the most weight when I landed. The wrist is swollen, with the purple bruise marks going down my wrist toward my thumb and also going up my right wrist about about 6 inches. There is pain there, and it is pretty swollen. What should I do??
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

Our primary aim in your case is to exclude underlying fracture. As there is severe pain along with swelling there is high chance of having an underlying fracture especially at your wrist mainly Cole's fracture or fracture both bone of lower part of your forearm.

So its very urgent to have a x-ray evaluation of your right hand both AP and Lateral and it will be wise to have a x-ray of your knee joint also. If any fracture is there then consult an orthopedic surgeon immediately and take his consultation and operative intervention may also be needed if there is fracture both bone of your forearm.

In the meanwhile you may apply ice pack locally along with analgesic gel for symptomatic relief. You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain relief along with pantoprazole tablets.

Dr Arnab Maji

Answered: Tue, 11 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Ram Choudhary's  Response
Hi Lon
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The bruises with swelling indicate that you have fairly bad fall.
first and foremost you need Xrays of the swollen and bruises areas and if any thing significant(remember you may be having fractures there) consult an Orthopedician, if no fractures then you can take OTC Painkillers like diclofenac and paracetamol combinations.
Take care.
Wish you a great health!
Answered: Tue, 11 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor