Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Inflamed joints in thumb, severe pain when exposed to cold water. Blood test for uric acid normal. Arthritis?

My thumb is inflamed at the joints, and have had this condition for almost three weeks now. I experience a severe, sharp pain when I dip my hands in cold water.

I have had a blood test for uric acid and my GP says it is normal but I am getting very worried and I fear that I may be suffering from arthritis! Could you please advise!

I ma woriied

Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome at HCM.
Presence of pain at joints & pain in cold water is suggesting that you may be having inflammatory type of arthritis.This can also be raynauds disease.In this there is severe pain & discoloration of fingers in cold water or cold weather.

You should do following to have relief in this-

-Consult to a rheumatology doctor & get your self investigated completely.You should have CBC,ESR,CRP,COMPLETE AUTO IMMUNE PROFILE,etc.

-At present you may have a good analgesic like advil or aleeve.Taking indomethacin under direction of your doctor may be more helpful to you.

-You may ask for physiotherapy from your doctor who may give you relief by giving contrast bath & other modalities.

Hope this will help you.

With best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor