Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Infection in bladder. Severe pain. Help

Good Day; I am 27, Male residing in South Africa and my Girlfriend also 27...she has over the last few years picked up a Bladder infection and it occasionally causes severe pain at times (state hospitals and doctors don't seem to be helping at all). Just two weeks ago, she was in a temp job and while working there, she neglected to use the toilet as and when she needed which made the pain in her Bladder worse. Is there anything you could recommend for relief until her next hospital visit in a month/s time?

Secondly, when we kind of get in the mood and intimate and I end up kissing her on her Vagina, she says she finds it easier to pass out Urine and the pain goes away for a while. Is there something else I can do or give her to help other than going oral on her? we are quite the conservative couple and we don't want to keep engaging in any form of intercourse until we marry within the next year or so.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Your partner is most probably suffering from interstitial cystitis. I would advice a few things. To start off with, as this seems to be a constant problem, which has been recurring for quite some time. During your partners next hospital visit, I would advice a urine culture examination and a potassium sensitivity test.

The former of the two investigations will provide vital information on the infection causing organism. Once the organism is identified, the lab will also test the organism with a list of antibiotics and observe the response. Based on the response the lab will provide information on the best and most suitable medication , which will help in permanently treating the infection; preventing recurrences. The use of this investigation will ensure rapid and accurate treatment of your partners condition.

The latter investigation, will help in confirming or ruling out the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis.

In the meantime, initiating pain management medication which is targeted at treating urinary tract related pain (eg. flavoxate, etc.), under your doctors supervision, would be of great help. Drink plenty of water, you could mix a teaspoon of baking soda to this. Also add cranberry juice to your partners daily regimen, as this has also shown to have added benefits.

I would also advice you to abstain from all sexual contact (oral or penetrative) as this can further aggravate her condition.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Anuj Dan's  Response
I looked up some basic things that should help your girlfriend until her next checkup.
-Follow the health-care provider's treatment recommendations (since the infection has been there for sometime I am sure they gave you some advice by now)
-Keep taking the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor, complete the full dose, even if it seems that the symptoms have been relieved
-A hot water bottle sometimes helps
-Increase water intake
-Stop smoking, drinking alcohol and coffee
-Take a pain killer for the pain
I hope this helps your girlfriend.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor